Study in Canada as an International Student

What is a Canadian Study Permit? A Canadian study permit is the document that allows you to study at a Designated Learning Institute in Canada. In addition to the Study Permit, students may need a Temporary Resident Visa and/or and eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), depending on their country of citizenship or residence.

There are four stages to obtaining a Canadian study permit:

1. Check your eligibility:
Please refer to the requirements below.
2. Choose a study program:
You must have received an acceptance letter from the designated institution which you plan to attend before you submit your application for a Canada student visa.
3. Apply to the school:
We will prepare and submit your application to the college/university and act as your front-line.
4. Prepare and submit your study permit application:
Make sure that you have gathered all documents.                                                                                                                                               

Who can apply for a Canadian Student Visa?

In order to be successful, you must show:
  - successful completion of secondary education (at the minimum);
  -proficiency in English or French;
  -you will leave Canada at the end of your studies;
  -have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institute;
  -show that you have financial support for your stay in Canada ;
  -have no significant study gaps that cannot be reasonably explained;
  -be of good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.; and
  -be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity.

How Much Does it Cost to Study in Canada?

The cost to study in Canada depends on the type of program, the school, the desired city and number of family members accompanying the student. The annual average tuition cost for a college certificate or diploma in Canada is approximately CAD $15,000 - $20,000. Tuition fees are subject to change and official website should be reviewed for up-to-date tuition fee schedules for international students.

In addition to tuition, you must show that you have funds for living expenses for you and all accompanying family members. Currently, students are required to show CAD $10,000 per year, accompanying spouse CAD $4,000 per year and CAD $3,000 per year for every additional family member.

How to prove financial support in a Student Visa Application?

You can prove your funds with:
  - proof of a student or education loan from a bank;
  - your bank statements for the past 6 months;
  -proof you paid tuition and housing fees;
  -a letter/affidavit from the person or school giving you money or;
  -proof of a scholarship.

Can you study in Canada without taking a language proficiency test?

In some cases, but most schools do require English or French proficiency prior to enrolling you. In Canada, post-secondary institutions set their own language proficiency standards so they can vary depending on where you apply to and what type of program you apply for. Some universities such as Concordia University and Memorial University have very low IELTS requirements for undergraduate programs making it even convenient for some students to complete English courses after they start studies in Canada. Make sure to research each institution and determine the IELS requirement prior to taking the test. As mentioned before, some institutions have exemptions allowing students to forgo the IELTS requirement. While they vary, generally speaking, the most common exemptions may be granted for students applying from English dominant countries and those who have completed previous post-secondary studies in English or French.

What other tests are accepted by schools?

In addition to the IELTS exam, many Canadian schools also accept test results from both the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment.

Who may not need a Study Permit to study in Canada ?

  -​You wish to study in a short-term course or program that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period     authorized for your stay in Canada.​
  -You are a family member of a Foreign representatives to Canada and are accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you may not need a permit     to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether     you need a study permit.​
  -You are a family member of foreign armed forces under the Visiting Forces Act, then you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your      family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements., or
   -You are a foreign national who is a  Registered Indian in Canada

Can you extend a Student Permit or Change Conditions of your Student Permit?

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must complete the an application to do so.  Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. As per the IRCC website, you should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.​ If you decide to change programs or school / institution after commencing studies, then you must complete an application to change the conditions of you study permit such as the school or the program. These changes cannot be done by amending the study permit.

Bringing Family to Canada

​You may bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner will receive an Open Work Permit for the duration of your studies. The open work permit will allow your spouse or partner to work for any employer within Canada.

Need Help?​ Contact us for more information about Studying in Canada or for assistance in applying for Study permit (Student Visa).

Find out if you qualify for a Student Visa